Sunday, February 26, 2012

When Things Come Together

This past weekend has been rather productive for me which is really a good thing. Usually by Friday--Wednesday is worn completely out from the weeks tomfoolery and can not wait to get home, take off the face (aka make up) get out of the tortuous bra and wear PJ's until Sunday morning. Saturday started out pretty much the same way until Daddy Bear and I decided that since my friend Breathe Chick's Sister's Prom is rapidly approaching I needed to find my Prom dress. Please allow me to elaborate. I am rapidly approaching the big nasty 40, have not been to a prom in ummh like 20 years and have quite a bit of wear and tear on this old body. But the Sister's Prom is for a good cause and the Prom dress will be donated at the end of the night for local high school girls to wear and use for their actual special night, which I think is awesome. So despite my disdain of my physical appearance Wednesday can take one for the team when needed.

I went to a local store that specializes in mature women's clothes that surprisingly also has prom gowns and I found a beautiful red full length dress that I fell in love with, but this fairytale was not to be. First I had Daddy Bear in the dressing room with me trying to push, pull and tug myself into the top part--this was not happening mind you. Oh and the strange looks you get when you ask the sales people that you are looking for a prom dress is often very priceless. Sort of like "you're kidding right? This is not for you but your daughter?" Again not the scenario so I just go along with the "she's done lost her mind" looks that I received because on a typical day I do feel like I've lost my mind; I believe it's because I'm a mother and wife and I blame it on the boys.

The stars aligned for Wednesday when Daddy Bear and I went to a Goodwill shop that he claims is "high end Goodwill". Ok didn't know there was such a beast but we'll go with it. We asked the sales lady at Goodwill if they had any prom dresses (insert the above said look at me) and was told "just those few hanging on the rack in the back.They had nothing and I thought ok well I will back up and punt (since I love football I apply this analogy a lot BTW). So when I was getting ready to exit Goodwill this really nice lady stopped me and said "I overheard you're looking for a prom dress and I'm with a organization that's having a huge prom dress sale right now and no dress is over $25!!!" Score one for the good guys. I explain to this lovely angel what we are doing and she gives me the location and the name of the lady running the show and since it's for charity I may get an even better deal on a dress. I'm on the right track now Sisters.

So I go to the Prom Dress sale and meet with another lovely angel running the show and explain again what I'm doing and she's all about this and jumps into action to help me immediately. She even finds me a "mature" looking formal dress and informs me I can buy this dress and get another dress (more appropriate for a teenage girl going to the prom--translation a lot smaller, with sleek lines and beading) and all for the price of $20 dollars for both dresses! I'm telling you all there are angels that do walk among us everyday. Side bar here: my helper Daddy Bear by this point has found the Girl Scout cookie table and is walking through the prom dress sale eating, handing out cookies and assisting his crazy wife with the newest endeavor I have dragged him to and of course socializing with all the women. We paid for the two dress-did I mention $20 for both formal dresses?--and thanked these wonderful people profusely and also exchanged information so that Wednesday can get involved in their charity project as well. I mean really, what's better than helping a young high school girl who herself or her family can not possibly afford 300-500 dollars for a prom dress but has just as much right to wear a beautiful gown and go make some memories with her friends?! Only happens once or twice during your high school career right? Or in my crazy life when you're middle age but hey it's all good!

I want to leave you with this thought that I took away from this amazing experience. Good people who are charity/community oriented really do still exist wanting to make this often dark world better for others. I believe that our good Lord above has a hand in it and everything that happens when we try to pay it forward he facilitates for us when things come together.And lastly, you're never too old to go to a Prom and shake what your Momma gave you!(or at least I will try with my crappy knees :) Thank you all you Angles out there for helping Wednesday out this weekend!!! Now go make your projects and dreams come together!

No comments:

Post a Comment