Thursday, January 26, 2012

What's in a name..

As many of you know I love to give people nicknames. Not mean or nasty nicknames (usually with a few exceptions) but a nickname all the same. I was trying to think back in the cobwebs of my brain and remember how long I had actually been doing this practice but honestly I can't recall. So for now we will just go with quite a long time. I had a coworker say to me one day "do you call anybody by their real name?" Stopped me in my tracks and I had to rattle some of those cobwebs again. Response from Wednesday, "nope J-Bomb pretty sure I don't." I guess that gives it away as to who the coworker was asking me the question.

So I will digress and explain how I got the nickname Wednesday. Nope not my real God given name. BTW when I asked my mother how she and Dad decided on my name, I'm pretty sure she told me it was from a character on a soap opera back in the day. Makes perfect sense with my 20+ year viewing of Young and the Restless, but anyway back to Wednesday.  This nickname was given to me from my wonderful, awesome and fabulous friend "Roxy" and it originated from us working together and our "Daddy" on Wednesday (a dreaded day of the week of clinic with this fool Daddy) and also a character from a reality show we were both into watching. So I guess you could say Wednesday was born a nickname from a nickname?! Clear as mud, huh? I'm also known as Red too and some other unprintables that we won't speak of on here, but I'm ok with that too.

My beloved 14 year old son has been "Mr" ever since he was a toddler and I'm pretty sure most people know when I'm referring to him as Mr it's a pretty typical day. Sort of like if I'm using his whole full name with first, middle and last then Mr. is in some deep crap with Momma Bear. Funny story about his nickname happened to us when we were at the high school completing the endless mounds of paperwork for Freshman orientation.(sidebar here: general Freshmen nicknames are Freshies). Usual paperwork with what's your name, address,primary language spoken in the home?, male/female, nationality, etc. So Wednesday says to Mr in a completely straight face "so I'm putting down that you go by Mr and what is your preference for nationality?". Now I must tell you that Mr does not share my wicked sense of humor or one-liners and while I was filling out all these papers he was too busy checking out the talent and new blood at high school, so his response was "what are you writing down about me on those papers!" I was found out by the boy. Needless to say I did not list his official, God given name as Mr nor did I list him as Pacific-Asian descent; he really does ruin all my harmless fun.

So that's the basics on nicknames, how I became known as Wednesday and how I appreciate the giving and receiving of this somewhat ridiculous practice.It can also be said that I have not given a nickname to someone who was totally upset with me about it, but the disclaimer here is if it was really bad they probably didn't know they had been tagged. I really don't see myself not following through with this practice but who knows maybe someday I might grow up....not a chance.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you Maggalicious I appreciate that! I think this is going to be a really good outlet for self expression; you know I'm so introverted and never let anyone know what I'm thinking ** ;) love you all!

    ReplyDelete